The holidays can be a stressful time for all of us, but for survivors rebuilding their lives affected by violence, this time of the year can be especially difficult.
Many of our clients have a hard time making ends meet after leaving abusive partners and are unable to provide holiday gifts for their children. They may have to navigate extra visitation time for the children with their former spouse or interact with in-laws who are not supportive. The holidays present a variety of stressors for our clients.
YOU CAN HELP!
Joy Givers is our annual holiday assistance program that pairs caring community partners like you with one or more of the families we serve to provide gifts for the holidays. It is a rewarding way to share the joy of the season with a local family in need. It’s a great way for families, community groups, church groups, work teams, and local businesses to show these families how much they care.
HOW IT WORKS
1. Sign up to be a Joy Giver.
2. Wait to receive your DVIS family’s wish list that includes sizes, preferences, and any special needs for each family member.
3. Shop for your DVIS family! (If you are unable to shop for a family, you can provide gift cards and DVIS staff will do the shopping.
4. Label all unwrapped gifts with the family’s code and which member the gift is for (ex: Mom, Boy 1, Girl 1, etc.).
5. Deliver the gifts to DVIS between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., November 27 – December 1.
To protect the identities of our clients, we assign each family a code. It is very important that you label ALL gifts with this code so they reach the correct family. The average cost to buy for a family of four is $400, or $100 per person; however, if your level of generosity extends beyond that, even better! We only ask that you buy new items for these families. We cannot accept used gift donations.
ARE YOU READY TO GIVE JOY?
Sign up now.
WANT TO HELP ANOTHER WAY?
Donate gift wrapping supplies, or host a wrapping party. Wrapping gifts is a fun activity for groups and we’d love to host your work team, civic group, church group, or club.
Contact Cassandra Funderburk, 918-508-2705.